Friday, March 5, 2010

The Gay Adventure of Sherlock Holmes--Kindle ebook

I saw the Gay Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arius De Winter appear at Amazon as a Kindle edition. So I went through the trouble of downloading a Kindle app for my iPhone and downloading a copy. It was a fairly painless procedure, but the rewards were rather paltry. At first glance this seems to be a copy of the canon version with awkward 'gayification' added in the most clunky and awkward manner. I am still trying to work up the interest to take a second glance.

4 comments:

Cress said...

So it is like Larry Townsend's "Sexual Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" but not explicit? Like, every character is gay and talks in lisps and gay slang?

veinglory said...

I rather liked Townsend's book, and at the very least he did write every word himself. This is just Conan Doyle's words verbatum with some wretched additions changing the Watson POV character into someone else. At least that is what the first few pages are.

Cress said...

What do you mean Townsend wrote every word himself? It's been at least a year since I read it, but from what I recall, he did quote verbatim from the canon sometimes, and alter only minor bits, such as when he rewrote the Mormon section and lifted ACD's description of how Lucy Ferrier grew into a woman.

I'm not saying that Townsend's book was badly written. I liked that he did try to blend some canon stories into the book, but some of the more explicit sex scenes did push my personal limits. Also, the way that almost every single character was changed into a gay man felt a little absurd (and unintentionally funny) at times. I also didn't like the ending, but I won't spoil that here.

veinglory said...

I stand corrected but I still bet he wrote more than this guy--it seems about 95+% pure canon.